Find your perfect fit

Remote software developer jobs with transparent salaries.Post a job for free
Back to job listings
Posted 9 months ago

Director of Development


About the job


Allovue is looking to hire someone who loves leading, mentoring, and growing technical talent. Their primary responsibility will be helping our development team grow their technical and interpersonal skills through quality and supportive mentorship. They will collaborate with product leadership and our development team to identify staffing needs and grow our team, maintain quality development and delivery processes, and keep up to date technical systems documentation. We have six individual contributors and are looking to grow that team to 8-10 over the next year. All individual contributors will report to you as the new Director of Development.

We are currently transitioning from primarily using Ruby on Rails and EmberJS to Elixir and Phoenix. We do not expect candidates to have a deep knowledge of our specific technical stack, but they should have experience managing development teams, mentoring and advancing early career developers, and working collaboratively with product managers and designers. We do not expect this role to directly contribute to our product regularly. This role will be approximately 80% management and mentorship, which may include paired programming and other activities in support of our individual contributors. The remaining 20% will be dedicated to administrative tasks, such as policy maintenance and process documentation.

Although we are open to candidates who also want to serve as the technical leader at Allovue, our primary concern is supporting our development team; we are happy leaving technical leadership decisions about product architecture and new technology to our principal developers.

  • Provide learning opportunities for our development team
  • Mentor developers at various stages of their career to ensure their continued growth toward their individual goals
  • Meet with each direct report no less than twice a month
  • Lead hiring efforts as we expand our team
  • Work with the Chief Product Officer to determine future resource needs
  • Maintain technical documentation on product stack and security and access policies
  • Build relationships across the organization to maintain a high-level of mutual respect and empathy with our Allovue colleagues

  • 5+ years of professional software development
  • 3+ years of managing software developers
  • Experience with delivering software with extensive automated test coverage in a mature CI/CD pipeline
  • Experience mentoring and developing early, mid, and later career individual contributors
Bonus Points
  • Comprehensive knowledge of one or more of these languages: Elixir, Ruby, and/or JavaScript.
  • Experience with DevOps or SecOps
  • Background in UX/HCI/Design
  • ERP systems experience
  • ETL/ELT development and orchestration
Our Current Stack
  • Elixir/Phoenix
  • Ruby / Rails
  • JavaScript /Ember.js
  • Ansible
  • PostgreSQL
  • R
  • AWS
  • Render
Salary Range: $145,000 - 180,000
Tap to apply to this position
Employment type
Regular Employment
Tech stack
Full Stack
Ruby on Rails
$145.000 - 180.000
yearly gross salary