The Tidepool Platform is the foundation of everything we do. As Backend Engineer, you will have a hand in maintaining our platform which is used by both our homegrown applications and an ecosystem of third-party applications.
In addition to your responsibilities as a Backend engineer (which you will share with the Ops team), you will be a full member of the DevOps team, where you will participate in the on-call rotation for all backend services.
- Helping deploy and maintain a secure, robust, scalable platform and infrastructure that enables Tidepool, third-party software developers, researchers, and others to bring their visions for diabetes data to life.
- Scaling our existing backend services and databases to handle rapidly increasing volume of time-series data from diabetes devices.
- Building new (Golang) backend services and maintaining existing (NodeJS and Golang) backend services.
- Being a part of our on-call rotation for operational alerts.
The ideal candidate has:
- A passion for delivering great solutions that leverage modern technology stacks and tools, as well as current best practices for performance and security.
- Direct, hands-on experience in developing and scaling large production databases using MongoDB.
- Direct, hands-on experience in developing production services in Golang.
- Direct, hands-on experience in deploying services to Kubernetes.
- Direct, hands-on experience in scaling systems over time to meet increasing demand.
- An eye for detail and a willingness to take extra care in crafting precise operations documentation and alert systems.
Experience with one or more tools in each category:
- Databases: MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Time Series Database
- Languages: Go, NodeJS, Python
- IaaS Platforms: AWS, OpenStack, DigitalOcean, etc.
- Keeps up-to-date with changes in the Kubernetes landscape, and can discern which technologies are good to adopt, and which are still too bleeding edge (but which we should keep an eye on)
Salary and Benefits: The salary range for the position is $134,000-$155,000.
Benefits include: - Unlimited PTO - Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage - Flexible work schedule - Wellness and Productivity stipend - Continuing Education Reimbursement - Other benefits
Note - Tidepool does not offer U.S. work visa sponsorships.
While many of Tidepool’s team members have a personal connection to diabetes, this is not a requirement. We do ask that you have empathy for chronic conditions and you are prepared to learn about the diabetes experience.
This is a remote position – you’ll be working from home and interacting with a team that works around the world, currently in 13 states and 5 countries. Learn more about working at Tidepool, including our approach to inclusion and diversity at Tidepool.org.